Our Province has just celebrated 85 years of service in the USA and we are happy to share our commemorative video below…
Justice, IllinoisProvincial Superior 9000 West 81st Street Justice, IL 60458 Phone: (708) 458-3040 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
History of the Province
History of our Province in USAThe Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception trace our earliest roots in North America when a vision for our presence dates back to 1909. At that time, Bishop Weber from Poland held the hope that the Poles in North America could well be served by Religious women from Poland. In 1925, were two Dominican Sisters, Sr. Celestine and Sr. Teofila, arrived in Chicago on May 9, 1925. Their immediate goals were seeking a site for this new mission and securing funds for it.Earliest years in North America were often marked by great challenges, hardship and trials. The Sisters continuously prayed for strength and perseverance as they entrusted themselves to the protection of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.On September 8, 1928 on the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, three additional Dominicans (Sister Leona, Sister Ignacja and Sister Felicja) began their journey from Poland to the states. They overcame obstacles initially presented by the Visa requirements and funding costs. On September 20, 1928 the Sisters arrived in Chicago to dedicate themselves to this important mission. Meanwhile, they knew well that fundraising was necessary to make possible their ministry.Upon their arrival the Sisters had only one possession: great faith. They were often to recall our Lord’s words to St. Catherine of Siena “ If you will think about Me, I shall think about you.” Their trust in Divine Providence and the words of our Lord were their beacons for the journey of each day.Their faith and trust bore great fruit. Father Stanislaus Bona (the future Bishop of Green Bay, Wisconsin) welcomed the Sisters and helped them to settle in the greater Chicago area. The struggle to find a permanent residence found the Sisters living initially with the Racine Dominican Sisters. Eventually, our Sisters were able to relocate to a rented house on Marshall Boulevard in Chicago. But in order to support themselves, the Sisters had to beg for support. Their efforts were met by numerous kind people. Eventually fellow Polish citizens, who founded a Charitable Society to support the Sisters. During that time, Sisters sought to purchase land on which they envisioned a future. The great years of Depression, spanning from 1929 – 1933, prevented the sisters from fulfilling their plan at that time.To honor the Blessed Mary for her protection, the Sisters placed the community and their apostolate completely under the protection of the Immaculate Conception.The faith and trust, hard work and dedication inspired new vocations to the community. In their newly rented house after one month, the first candidates started to apply. The Community had grown with new religious vocations.After much paperwork, on February 13, 1931, the Congregation of the Holy See gave permission for the Dominican Sisters to open a novitiate in the United States. On the feast of St. Catherine of Siena in April of that same year, four postulants received the Dominican habit and were accepted for their year of canonical novitiate. In the same year by October, an additional seven postulants joined the community. By 1932, the initial community of 4 sisters in 1928 had grown to 14 sisters with 4 Sisters in final vows, 4 in temporal vows, 5 novices and 1 postulant. As this initial period of growth and expansion was taking place, the Sisters continued their ministry of service and evangelization.By 1933 the Dominican Sisters experienced even greater growth. A new mission was planned. Finally on August 1, 1936 the Sisters had acquired a farm parcel of land in Justice, Illinois. Farm buildings on this property were converted for use of the Sisters charitable works. As the year passed, a more modern, fireproof facility had been erected. By 1940, the outdoor Mysteries of the Rosary had been installed. In 1945, a new mission house was found in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where our sisters begin their ministry among the elderly. (This site, now called St. Ann Rest Home, houses 60 elderly residents.)The mission in Justice, Illinois continued to experience real growth which called for the construction of a convalescent building that would respond to the need of the elderly people in the area. It was called Rosary Hill. Still further, two wings were additions to Rosary Hill Home in the 1960s.In June 1951, the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and the Societies of Apostolic Life granted permission to the Dominican Sisters community in Justice to become a province.The Province remains under the patronage and protection of the Immaculate Conception.At long last, the vision of our pioneer Sisters, which hoped for a convent, came to reality when the construction of a 3-story building began in the summer of 2003 and was completed in September, 2005. The new edifice serves both as a convent for our Sisters as well as a Retreat Center.The consecration of the new Provincial House took place on December 8, 2004 by the then Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago, Most Reverend Thomas J. Paprocki. This date coincided with the 150th anniversary date of the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception.Currently, the Provincial House in Justice houses the formation accommodations. The Province has seen the fruits of prayer, faith and trust of our pioneer Sisters as we have four additional ministry sites and Convents in Canada, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Ohio.
Contact Person Sr. Irmina Malek, O.P. Dominican Sisters 2020 South Muskego Avenue Milwaukee, WI 53204 (414) 383-2630 email@example.com www.stannresthome.org Religious House in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was founded in 1946.
Sisters run St. Ann Rest Home for the elderly.
Mountain Home, ArkansasContact Person Sr. Klaudia Klapacz, O.P. Dominican Sisters 1726 Pine Tree Lane. Mountain Home, AR 72653 Phone: (870) 425-3790 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Religious House in Mountain Home, Arkansas was founded in 1996. Sisters are active in parish ministry, serve parishioners residing in nursing homes, private homes, in a Hospital, in a Hospice House and taking care of the church decorations.
Columbus, OhioContact Person: Sr. Leonarda Zielinska, O.P. 2575 E. Livingston Ave. Columbus, OH 43209
The sisters are active in pastoral ministry, school teaching and serve the sick.
Sr. Salome Kociuba, O.P. Dominican Sisters
2108 Uxbridge Drive N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 3Z4
Canada Phone: (403) 282-5077 email: email@example.com Religious House in Calgary in Canada was founded in 1968. The sisters run a kindergarten, take care of the church’s decoration, teach in polish school, and organize children and youth events.