Our Congregation was founded by Venerable Mother Kolumba Białecka in 1861. Her spiritual maturity inspired the Master General of the Dominican Order, Fr. Vincent Jandel, to send her to the cloistered Dominican Sisters in Nancy, France, for her religious formation, so that she could then return to Poland to found the Third Regular Order of the Sisters of St. Dominic. Today we continue to live Mother Kolumba’s charism through education, evangelization, and aid to the suffering.
We trace our provincial roots all the way back to 1909 when Bishop Weber envisioned our Sisters coming to North America from Poland to serve the needs of their fellow Poles. Today, we continue to fulfill Bishop Weber’s vision, not only for our fellow Poles, but to all people God sends to us.
Mother Maria Rose Kolumba Białecka was born on August 23, 1838, as the second of three siblings, in eastern Poland. Endowed with many natural and supernatural gifts, she followed the dictates of her heart and at age nineteen entered the novitiate of the Dominican Sisters in Nancy, France to receive her religious formation.
Shortly after World War II, a survivor of the Stutthof concentration camp contacted our Dominican Congregation. She claimed that a Sister of our community was nothing short of a saint. While Sr. Julia’s Sisters may have considered her just another unfortunate victim of Nazi brutality, her fellow prisoners saw her as a hero.